Saturday, January 23, 2016

There's No Place Like ... Tokyo?

Today was my third day at the Tokyo Quilt Festival.  I've received many notes asking about how different Tokyo is from being back home.

Well, I walked by this on my way to breakfast:


And I walked by these on my way to the Tokyo Dome this morning:




When I travel abroad, I normally don't eat at American-type restaurants; instead, I try to eat food from the region I'm visiting.  While I do go to Starbucks at home occasionally, I haven't eaten at a Sizzler since 1985 or so and I only eat at TGI Friday's if I'm traveling for work and it is the only restaurant around.

Today's local food included amazing pastries for breakfast:


This bakery is way too close to my hotel and the reason while I will absolutely gain weight on this trip.

For lunch, I bought a bento box from the baseball food vendors:


This was mostly yummy.  Mostly.

The view from the baseball stands during lunch, however, was fascinating:


For dinner, we traveled to a gyoza restaurant and... Oh.  My.  Heck.


I watched this fella make dozens and dozens and dozens of gyoza while I ate some of his yummy food.  Mmmmmmm.

Walking back to the subway tonight, though, I failed as a tourist and ate some western food:


Chocolate Fudge Brownie.  Yeah, that happened.

No comments: