Sunday, January 25, 2015

Overcoming Inertia

I know this has never happened to you, but sometimes I have so much to do that I just want to sit and do none of it.  Usually this happens to me the day before or the day after a teaching trip.  There are a lot of details to handle on both end of the trip:  class supply packing/unpacking, clothing packing/unpacking/laundry, paperwork (personal and professional), and nearly a million other things.  Like I said, I'm sure that everyone else jumps right in and gets to doing what is necessary, but I have trouble with this.

Over the years, though, I found a few ways to help myself overcome inertia.  I have developed a series of routines that usually get me over the "I don't want to do anything" hump and into the "Wow! Look at how much I'm getting done!  I rock!" territory.

Every morning when I sit at my desk, I have a particular routine.  It can be done in any order, but I empty my physical inbox, track receipts, file papers, manage my email, and check the calendar for upcoming events to stay on top of things.  This takes between 10 and 30 minutes.  I have a clear desktop when I'm done and I also don't feel so lost and confused in the "too much to do" pile.

I ask you, Is there anything prettier than an empty inbox?


I'm working to devleop a "before I leave for a trip" routine and an "as soon as I return from a trip" routine, but I'm not quite there yet.  Usually I just jump in with my normal daily routine and find that any motion at all gets me started and keeps me moving.

No comments: