Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Home Sweet Home!

I have spent 100 of the last 252 nights in a hotel.  While in a hotel, I only have the belongings that fit into one suitcase, a backpack, and a very small purse.  Now that I'm home, I have a house full of stuff.  I'm overwhelmed!

It is time to put my house on a diet.  I don't think I will pare my possessions down to what can fit into one suitcase, but I'd like to seriously tackle the "too much stuff" problem.

As I see it, I have three options:

1.  Throw it away.  I don't like this option much.  I'm an earthy/crunchy gal at heart and dumping my possessions in a landfill makes me shiver.  Some of my items will end up in the landfill, but I am hoping to keep that number as small as possible.
2.  Use it up/ Wear it out.  I like this option.  I have some unintentionally large supplies of items and choose to be grateful that I won't need to stock up on them in the near future.  I will keep them around and let their numbers dwindle as I use them up.
3.  Pass it along.  As I find items that I don't need to keep, I hope to identify someone who would like/use them.  I don't want to unnecessarily burden others with my stuff, but if someone can benefit from my excess, I want them to have it.

Are there other options that I am missing?

I wonder how much progress I can make by the end of 2015?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I've entitled my 2014 clean out the house "Project Purge" and I have a box (or three) on the go ALL THE TIME. The Diabetes Clothesline has me on speed dial and calls me whenever they are in my area. I always have a box (or three) waiting for them. It is such a good feeling when I find something else that can go in a box. I was starting to not like my house because of all the stuff in it. That's not a problem anymore.